My suggestion for Passpack is ...

Account Beneficiary

Delegate a person (or people) that can recovery the compoany account in the even I get abducted by aliens

172 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PasspackAdminPasspack (Admin, Passpack) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BeeBee commented  · 

"Account Beneficiary" is a new niche within the legal systems and I suspect will continue to grow. If I am ever abducted by aliens there will be legal issues regarding HOW and WHO gets access to my personal passwords. Thankfully, I have a will which has made a provision for the aliens BUT it would be sweet if I could designate the same person listed in my will within the passpack service. OR not ... and then just take all my passwords with me into outerspace. Even if PassPack does nothing I think it would be beneficial for them to at the very least have some type of corporate policy around what happens to passwords for this paid service in the event that the owner goes missing...

• BeeBee commented  · 

This is a great feature from a corporate point of view. But from a personal perspective there may be some legal impact. Maybe passpack should offer some documentation that could be turned over to personal estate lawyers so that in case of death or inability to make decisions the individuals who manage their personal passpack accounts can name a legal executor. This way everyone is protected...?

• Patrick@ADSPatrick@ADS commented  · 

+1 on what Carolyn said. A "Break Glass in case of Emergency" feature would be great!

• CarolynCarolyn commented  · 

I would like to not have to share my account's password and/or packing key with anyone. A 2nd emergency password to transfer ownership would be great. For example, I'm a manager at a company and I'll be running database management. If I leave the company for some reason (hell forbid I get fired or die suddenly), I'd like the owner to be able to take over.

• BrianCBrianC commented  · 

Also see the "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" suggestion. Part 2 of that suggestion requires that 2 (or more if specified) people have to log in together to access the shared password. This keeps one person from getting to your emergency password with nobody else knowing about it.

• Alex LeonardAlex Leonard commented  · 

I guess the beneficiary could be sorted by just creating a shared account, and then giving the login/packing key for this to the solicitor who looks after your will/estate and designating who should be provided with the login/packing key in the event of your passing.

I don't think it should really be Passpack's responsibility to handle requests for such access. It's a global system and Passpack would need to have legal clarification, request death certificates and so on.

Like Simon says, this can be done if you want to do it, and as I described above, you can handle it in such a way that it's absolutely secure (your solicitor is legally obliged to handle such things in confidence).

• LoriLori commented  · 

Yes, and if we're paying for an account for a company, have a senior level staff member who has access if need be.

• pauldreedpauldreed commented  · 

Yes I have a printout, but it makes me feel uncomfortable as it defeats the inherent security that I entrust in Passpack!

• pauldreedpauldreed commented  · 

Please develop this!!
        It's only when you get to a certain age do you realize the importance of continuity...

• PasspackAdminPasspack (Admin, Passpack) commented  · 

Yup Simon, a print out stored in a safe place would work too for simple situations. I'd imagine there's a more complex situation which would need a specific solution??

• Simon HobbsSimon Hobbs commented  · 

Can't we already do this?
        1) I create a new entry in passpack, adding your login/packing key
        2) Share it with that person as read-only.

Feedback and Knowledge Base